Eternal life is a free gift, based on God’s grace.
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23).
- This might surprise you, but Heaven cannot be earned or deserved.
- “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Grace is what God wants to give you, but which you do not deserve.
- It is amazing, but true; God wants you to go to heaven. Eternal life is a free gift!
People in themselves do not deserve the gift of heaven. Why?
- We are sinners by nature and by choice.
- “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
- We are incapable of doing good according to God’s standards.
- “…There is no one who does good, not even one” (Romans 3:12).
- “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it” (James 2:10).
- People cannot save themselves.
- “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy” (Titus 3:5).
There is a penalty for sin.
- God is love – He doesn’t want to judge you.
- “The Lord…is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9).
- But, God is also just – He must judge sin.
- “Yet He does not leave the guilty unpunished” (Exodus 34:7).
- “The wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23), i.e. physical death and also spiritual death (separation from God).
- Our basic needs are: forgiveness, eternal life and peace with God.
- So, people try religion, good deeds, materialism, self-acclaim, etc, to satisfy their needs, but these do not solve the problem of sin.
- But remember, God is love. He has the solution!
Jesus Christ is your only way to Heaven.
- Who He is – the infinite God-man.
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us” (John 1:1,14).
- What He did – He paid the penalty for our sins, and purchased a place in heaven for us!
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
- “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring us to God” (1 Peter 3:18).
- “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).
Personal faith in Jesus Christ is the answer.
- Faith is not – merely believing a fact.
- “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that – and shudder” (James 2:19).
- Many people agree that Jesus Christ lived and died, and they even believe in His resurrection! But, they have not turned from sin and trusted Him.
- Faith is – turning from your sin and trusting in Jesus Christ alone for your eternal salvation.
- “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
- “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:12).
- “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31).
- The Bible says, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13).
Can you think of any reason why you wouldn’t want to invite Jesus Christ into your life right now? Might I suggest a simple prayer?
Thank you for the gift of eternal life. I know I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. I believe Jesus is the Son of God and that He died for my sins and rose again from the dead to give me eternal life. I now put my complete trust in You alone for eternal life. Thank you for saving me. In Jesus name, Amen!
This post reflects my heart passion and was inspired by a booklet entitled, “Life’s Most Important Question” published by BMH, P.O. Box 544, Winona Lake, IN 46590, http://www.bmhbooks.com